On the Board
YNHH Saint Raphael Campus 175 Sherman Avenue
Yale New Haven Health
New Haven, CT
Specialty clinics, exam rooms, waiting areas, entrance and lobby, reception areas, conference rooms, breakrooms, and administrative offices
This project allows for additional hospital growth by creating an outpatient clinic through adaptive reuse of a former 45,000 square foot historic early-twentieth century Romanesque Revival church and parish house in New Haven (c. 1901). Redesign of the 6-story brownstone building, which consists of two main sections separated by an enclosed courtyard, includes full interior renovation to meet the needs of the following specialties: rehabilitation and occupational health, cardiac rehabilitation, heart and vascular center, and the Holter clinic. The existing structure, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, features a slate gable roof anchored by two towers, a turreted belfry, and ornate masonry detailing.
JSA addressed the need to identify an entrance for patients and visitors by creating a new glass and steel canopy, accessible ramp, bronze railing, and Stony Creek granite ramp and stairs. A new lobby space welcomes visitors and features horizontal wood cladding – juxtaposed against the existing masonry walls. The reception area adheres to all Yale New Haven Hospital design standards and includes cherry millwork and easy to maintain solid surfacing. The existing courtyard, which will feature a living wall system and garden, will receive a new glass skylight. New elevators, doors, interior finishes, casework, and lighting will enhance the reconfigured interior. Exterior modifications include full window and roof replacement, and masonry cleaning and restoration. Additionally, parking will be reconfigured and new site lighting installed. The renderings feature the front elevation of the building; a close-up of the new entrance with glass canopy, granite stair, and ADA-compliant ramps; and interior views of the lobby and enclosed courtyard.